Thursday, July 8, 2010

Summer Racing


With July already here it is a sure sign that the summer racing season is already well underway. I find that this is a great time to see if my hard work during the winter and spring has paid off because summer races really give you the best chance for fast times. Every year I have a few races that I do as part of a tradition like the BolderBoulder 10K and the Sailin' Shoes 5K in Colorado Springs, but I also like to sign up for a new race each year that gives me something to really train for. Last year it was the Pikes Peak Ascent, this year it is the Barr Trail Mountain Race and also could be the Georgetown to Idaho Springs Half Marathon in August. A lot of these bigger races have earlier registrations so I find it easier to make a commitment to training when I have already paid the fees. Does anybody else use a similar method in order to stay motivated during the summer? What keeps you running through those blistering summer evenings or early mornings when you'd rather sleep in on your day off from work? There are few things that I enjoy more during the summer than hanging out with friends at the finish line talking about the race while grabbing free goodies and drinks to keep us upright. The BolderBoulder has one of the biggest raceday expos that I have ever seen with hundreds of companies giving away free samples of their products. It really gives you some motivation while you are running through some tough miles! Do you have any favorite races? Let me know, I'd love to hear about some of your favorite experiences! Have a happy summer running!

No comments:

Post a Comment